Monday, March 06, 2006

The Shark Did It

OK, I just finished Jaws (the book by Peter Benchley, not the movie), and I was disappointed. I read it on a whim because I loved the movie back in the day, and the book is always better than the movie, right? It turns out not, at least when 20-foot Great Whites are involved. The relationship between Martin Brody, the chief of police, and his wife, Ellen, is cliched (she wants to be rich, he isn't, so she cheats on him and then realizes she loves him), the "shark circling" scenes don't have near the terror that they do in the movie, and the sex scenes are flat. It's not horrible, of course--there is humor, the setting description is strong, and hey, it's got a big freakin' shark. I am glad I read it, if nothing else than for the inspiration. L'il Jaws will be appearing in Battle Lake in August Moon as a terrorizing sub-plot.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,
    I just have to let you know that I'm really enjoying your book. Yesterday, decided I would bring your book to the gym to read while walking on the treadmill. (Unfortunately, gym time is the only time I have to read for pleasure these days, otherwise I would have read it sooner.) I found myself laughing out loud, forgetting that I had my tunes on and the rest of the place could hear me! I especially liked the line, "I was Bananarama in the land of Husker Du." Very funny. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book. It's making my walking time very enjoyable. (Annie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You were lucky to get a ride. :) Where are you at?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie! I'm so glad you aren't hating it. :) I'm bothered by the doll picture, though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll admit that the doll (affectionately known as Ugly Baby) is disturbing. What's really scary? She's even uglier in real life! :)

    I'm still enjoying the book. I'm glad your signings are going well, too.

    ReplyDelete