Friday, March 17, 2006

Cheese, Diet Coke, and the Pet Shop Boys

That's what I have going on now. I am trying to get my head around the busy, busy week I've had. It started on Tuesday, when I went to the hotel room in the Cities Mr. B. had reserved for me so I would be close like a mouse to the cat when we started our whirlwind Twin Cities book tour. I enjoyed that quiet night in the hotel, watching "America's Next Top Model" (two hour block!) and eating TGIFriday's glue-like food in bed, remote control in hand.

Next morning, Mr. B. was there bright and early in his Russian mafia suit. We took IHOP by storm and then raced through bookstores near and far. May Day is "on the table" in Borders and soon will be in Barnes and Noble, which is fantastic news and makes me heart Midnight Ink more than I even did before. I felt like a dork asking to sign copies of my book, and if you know me, you know that when I feel like a dork, I become a dork, babbling and making stupid jokes. It was a good time nevertheless. People were extra nice to me when Mr. B. was around, too--I think it was the grim look on his face, the black suit, and the banana in his coat pocket.

We ended up at the (I swear to God "Rock Me Amadeus" just came on my radio--is this going to be a good day or what?) Brookdale Barnes and Noble for the official book signing, where Jan took fabulous care of me. There was not much traffic at my table, not counting my three rosy-cheeked, martini-breathed friends from Alexandria who stopped by, but I met some great people and discovered I really like Jan--she's direct and opinionated, which is my favorite kind of woman. Mr. B. and I ended up the night at the Maplewood B & N, where the seriously funniest group of women ever was meeting in the basement to pick a book for their book club. They decided to go with May Day (peer pressure rocks), and Mr. B. and I slipped out on the snow storm.

Phew. Today, I was on the radio with Tom E. Lee, who was very kind and didn't smell at all like the beef jerky he was trying to give away. I was nervous, but Kellie Tatge, the most sparkly woman you'll ever meet, inside and out, carried the day by reading a part of May Day on the air, offering catchy sound bites, and informing all of my 1-3 book signing tomorrow. Whee! If you're in the neighborhood, stop by the Viking Plaza Mall tomorrow to say "hi." I won't try to sell you anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment