Monday, March 13, 2006

Duluth Barnes & Noble

I completed my first official booksigning ever, and I'm happy to report that the Duluth Barnes & Noble was the perfect spot to do it. Jill Lyman, the Community Relations manager, had a great old, heavy wood table set in the center of the store with about 30 copies of May Day and a vase of fresh pink tulips on it. She even provided Sharpies and "Autographed Copy" stickers, and some delicious tea and water (which I shouldn't have drank; I spent much of the signing needing to pee).

There was one sort of crabby-looking woman with a crispy little tight perm who wanted to know if I was related to Becky Lourey, and when I said I thought her husband was my dad's first cousin, she pursed her lips and walked away, but otherwise, people were a little shy about approaching me and nice as could be when they got there. The few down times, Jill came over and talked to me so I wasn't just sitting there like the girl nobody wanted to dance with. Yay! The bookstore is great, too--huge, with lots of nooks and crannies. I ended up signing ten or eleven copies and getting a lot of people to register for the May Day-themed prizes. I stayed about half an hour past my scheduled time, and on the way out, Jill gave me a handwritten thank you card and a wrapped copy of a beautiful hard cover book on herbs. Gotta love Duluth.

Tomorrow, I'm heading to the Cities early to get rested up for the whirlwind, one-day Twin Cities bookstore tour, which officially begins and ends on Wednesday. Mr. B., my publicist, has kindly offered to drive me around. He said that if I act like a diva, he's going wear his underoos outside his pants, say, "I like to shop at Kmart" over and over again in a breathy little voice, and tell people he is my first cousin and our moms said I have to bring him with. Good thing I am incredibly low-maintenance, as anyone who knows me will attest to.

No comments:

Post a Comment