Thursday, May 25, 2006

Take My Johnny Holm, Please...

Celebrate the Awake the Lakes Festival in beautiful Alexandria, Minnesota, (birthplace of America!) this weekend. Please. I have two tickets to Johnny Holm that I won on the radio yesterday (see previous posting), and I'd like to give them away to some lucky somebody. To be eligible to win, you need to post as a comment to this blog the story of your first kegger, or your first drinking-something-mixed-with-Koolaid-whilst-standing-in-a field party, or first-kiss-in-a-small-town, in 500 words or less. Best story wins two free tickets to the magical Johnny Holm performance, this Saturday.

And if you're an out-of-towner, come early for the fun! Friday there are fireworks, hunks of cooked animal flesh, and Big John Dickerson. Saturday is the Heritage Fest, during which you can get a side of chips and salsa with your lutefisk and listen to the Marv Nissel Family Band. Ah, diversity in west central Minnesota. I love this stuff. And I will be there, with my kids and a big smile on my face.

If you come, I think you'll find Alexandria easy to get to and hard to leave (like Battle Lake, except with less irony). First, though, you must enter to win these Johnny Holm tickets. As anyone who has seen this mellifluous musician perform his Pied Piper-esque rock-n-roll will tell you, this is not an opportunity to be missed. So share your best summer in a small town story, and give me fodder for another book.

And congratulations to Jenn the librarian, who won yesterday's trivia contest and so has a Nut Goodie hurtling through snail mail to her. Thank you for the Johnny Holm link, Jenn. Can you believe I spelled his name wrong?!? And I call myself a Minnesotan.

3 comments:

  1. Pick me Pick me!!! The Thursday (or Friday?) night before my first wedding, me and the wedding party went to Johnny Holms in HERMAN MN!!!! Me and the groom-to-be got to be on stage and he asked us where we worked and as I recall he even made us KISS on stage! It was July 20 or 21, 1994. Groom-to-be and I have been divorced since 1997, but that night was even better than the wedding day or night!!! Me & new hubby (first anniversary on June 11, thank you) could have SUCH a ball- he only remembers going to Johnny Holms when he was young and drunk. Just think of the "mature couple" that we now are rockin' to the concert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, chelty, you totally win because of this line, "that night was even better than the wedding day or night." And also, you're the only one who entered. :) Now, we have to figure out how I can get the tickets to you. Do you know anyone in Alex with whom I can leave them? If not, I bet I could just leave them at the Chamber of Commerce. Lemme know ASAP. You're a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Kissed" a breakdancer? You forget I knew you in high school, sweetie. Did I ever tell you about the woman I bartended with at Mabel Murphy's (Fergus Falls) who went home with the "Dy-NO-Mite!" guy from Good Times? He had hit rock bottom and was doing a comedy "tour" that brought him to Fergus. The stuff of which dreams are made.

    ReplyDelete