Friday, May 12, 2006

June Bug Cover!

I just received the sketch of the June Bug cover. It's superfun! Thank you, Lisa Novak and Midnight Ink, for your great sensibilities. I also finished pumping up June Bug last night--I paid a freelance editor $5 a page to criticize me, and she earned every penny--and you know, I'm really proud of that book. It's got it all--mystery, love, humor, suspense. I can't wait for you to read it!

Anyhow, Lisa sketches the cover (and she's great), and then Midnight Ink hires another person to polish it up, so the cover that ends up being on June Bug when it comes out next March may not look exactly like what you see to the right, but it's where we're starting. I especially like that Mira has "Last Resort" stamped to her rear in the picture. You'll have to read the book to find out what that means.

On to my new favorite typo, printed this week in a local Minnesota newspaper:

"Seventeen high school thesbians will stage the award-winning comedy, 'You Can't Take It With You,' this weekend in the school auditorium...The thesbians were scheduled to perform the play in April, but it was delayed until May."

I'm pretty sure that thesbians are women who like women with speech impediments, and I think it's fantastic that greater Minnesota is opening its hearts, minds, and stages to a variety of lifestyles. Is that a kick-ass typo, or what? That knocks the woman who wrote, in her cover letter applying for an English instructor position, "It is my goal to leave my job in the private sector and become a pubic worker, where I can touch many more people," right off the top of my all-time, favorite typos list.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite pasttimes is finding typos in newspapers. My husband thinks I need better things to do with my time. But it's so funny! Especially when you don't even need to look, they just JUMP out at you! One of my biggest pet peeves is headlines that are completely irrelevant or misleading. I can't even think of an example that describes one as I hate them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I think you're missing the far more greater crime which is forcing a high school production of "You Can't Take It With You" on the poor citizens of Minnesota. They had Ventura for governor--haven't they suffered enough?

    ReplyDelete