Friday, May 19, 2006

Dance, Book Clubs, and Gynecologists

Ah, the trifecta of life.

OK, first for dance. Two people have sent this to me, and so I am sending it to you. It's cute! It's the evolution of dance.

On to the book club and gynecologists. I was invited to speak at an Alexandria book club, which had May Day as their May pick. The book club meeting was held at a gorgeous, tastefully decorated house on a local golf course. There were strawberries dipped in chocoloate, stuffed mushrooms, and delicious wine. I was the first one there, and then the women started filing in--a reporter from the local newspaper, some teachers, a few doctors, and then, all of a sudden, there was my gynecologist.

Usually, when I'm at a party, I'm the only one there who has seen me naked. You can bank on it. But, not Wednesday.

The shock of seeing my gynecologist in civilian clothes in this immaculate house where I was about to come under the microscope of a baker's dozen of slightly tipsy professional women, who had all come to discuss my "a-little-bit-raunchy" chick lit mystery, caused me to hiss under my breath, "That woman has seen my vagina!"

Apparently, gynecologists, like mothers, dogs, and teachers, have supernatural hearing, and she turned in my direction and said, "It must have been normal, because I don't remember it." Ha! That's a great line. My gynecologist is funny. The rest of the night was a good time, though there was much more talk about life than May Day, which is the way it should be. Oh, and they liked the book. :) They were kind enough to compare my writing style to Janet Evanovich's!!! Whee.

Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. And this is where I go poke out my mind's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gynecologist- that is too funny. My son had his first sports physical a month ago- two hours after he was done the dr he saw (our family dr) was on his way to Abbott (so the rumor was). He really was ill, possibly a heart attack. Oh we gave the teenager a hard time. What could he have possibly done or said that would give a long-time family dr a heart attack??!!

    ReplyDelete