Monday, June 19, 2006

We Have Wisconsin

The May Day Wisconsin book tour has begun! Whee! Currently, I am in Alma Center, Wisconsin, at the lovely KOA. Over the next ten days, I will be hitting six cities to spread the good word about the Book. If you follow along, you will find out what the glamorous world of an author really entails.

Currently, my kids are outside the RV playing with their new fly-shooter guns, bought for them by their Opa, who is presently enjoying his morning ablutions (that's a nice way of saying guy bathroom time, which is crazy long considering how little they do). My mom is cooking breakfast for everyone but her and me, as we are on an Ultrclear cleansing diet. The race to the bathroom is on...

I've also been researching the way to make the most out of booksignings, which have been a mixed bag for me, and presentations, which I enjoy but am nervous about. My mom has made a lovely full-color brochure, extolling the virtues of May Day, to which my kids will affix red hot Atomic Fireballs (Lex Ham Rand, do you see a Menard's/Fleet Farm candy pattern emerging in my literary career? What could it mean?). I'm going to hand those out to people who come near my table at signings, but do it in a low-pressure way as I hate pushiness. I've also bought 32 Nut Goodies for my Wednesday night presentation at Booked for Murder, both because I'm happy to visit Madison for the first time AND because Terri and Linda picked May Day for their May read.

Tonight, I am presenting, "Mystery Writing Is Murder," at the Racine Public Library at 7:00 (anyone know if there is a time change from Minnesota?), so stop by if you're around! It'll be a blast.

4 comments:

  1. You should get book promo tour T-shirts printed up like rock band tour shirts. "MAY DAY Wisconsin Tour 2006: - Racine, -Madison, ..."

    Or little shirts for your kids that say "PLEASE BUY MY MOMMY'S BOOK." They can run around the bookstore being cute, drumming up business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the start of the tour. Did you see the piece in the Capital Times in Madison? Great mention.

    Rand, don't you have anything better to do than change your picture every other day? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I like this one - for now!

    At some point I will have to take a picture with a Nut Goodie and a copy of May Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Nut Goodie and May Day pic. And I'll work on having my kids manipulate the public to buy my books.

    I missed the Capital Times piece--when did it come out? Hope I have enough Nut Goodies for everyone there tonight... :)

    ReplyDelete