Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Race to Racine

Finding Internet access seems to be a trick when in an RV. Whoduthought? So, I’ll have to backtrack and post the Racine post the same day I post the Madison post.

Which do you want to hear first about my Racine Public Library “Mystery Writing Is Murder” presentation--the good news or the bad news? The good news? OK. All but two people there bought copies of May Day, and the group was made up of intelligent women, most of them writers. The bad news is that there were only eight people there. I guess I’m not exactly a household name in eastern Wisconsin. Or western. Or anywhere but my own house. The librarian who introduced me to the throng-ette did say I gave a mean presentation and invited me to the Breakfast with the Authors event the library holds the second Saturday in November.

One of the Racine attendees also writes for a regional writing mag and said she would like to do an article on me, so whee! But wait, it gets better. My dad later sold a copy of May Day to the couple from Hibbing who were camping next to us. Apparently, he got tired of having them silently watch him pump our poop from the RV into the ground from their lawn chairs five feet away and so struck up a conversation. They don’t read much but were sure their sister-in-law from Pengilly would like the book because it’s a mystery and she likes John Grisham.

We spent the night at Spring Green and visited House on the Rock, which is crazy cool. It’s a bit overwhelming, though, and gave Xander nightmares. But if you’re older than four, I recommend it. It was bizarre, like being inside someone’s cluttered brain.

On to Madison, my favorite city that I’ve never been to (thanks for the tip on the Capital Times piece, Mr. B.). But first, I need to share with you some light that Mr. B. brought into my life. I don’t know if he likes my sense of humor, but he clearly gets it.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good time! I've always wanted to stop at that House on the Rock. We drive to a little town just south of Racine (a toddlin' town with big shoulders) most summers, but we usually try to make the best possible time on the "Tour de Wisconsin" and that usually means few pit stops.

    Madison is cool. On an "isthmus" betwixt lakes Mendota and Monona. Perhaps one day there might be a murder mystery where someone dies on an isthmus. (There are THREE consonant sounds in a row in isthmus - s - th - m... that's the kind of stuff that would make any non-English speaker swoon at the thought of tackling our Germanic-Anglo-Roman babble....)

    And just think, you took this unwieldy and illogical language and wrote a whole novel using it.

    ReplyDelete