Monday, June 12, 2006

Las Vegas

I am freshly back from Las Vegas, and it's good to be home. It wasn't really my kind of town--very artificial, expensive, frenzied, and lacking in history and culture. That said, it was a vacation, and I was with my friends, so how bad could it be... we caught a good Cirque du Soleil show (see above left), looked hot at a Mexican bar (see above right), got kicked out of Tao


because we weren't cool enough (no picture), met some friendly Brits at Studio 54 (see left), enjoyed delicious food that turned out to be accidentally raw (see right), and went to Madame Tussaud's where Xtine made out with Jon Bon Jovi (see below left). We also have a picture of George Clooney cupping Kellie's breast and me doing something unmentionable (he liked it) to our current President of the United States of America, but those pictures aren't fit to print.


Today, I'm back in the routine. I'm sending out a review copy of May Day to Sandra Ruttan at Spinetingler Magazine, who has graciously offered to review it. Then, it's time to revise Knee High by July. I just got feedback from my independent editor, and my favorite comment of hers is, "Skunks are mammals, not rodents." Is that a thorough editor or what? After revisions, I'm going to start updating my fall online Creative Writing course, so watch here for writing tips as I scour the Internet for the best of the best and smush it together with what I've learned the hard way.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know, Jess - looks like you guys had a pretty good time in Vegas.

    And I had to laugh - your comment that "skunks are mammals, not rodents" reminded me of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes series - "Bats are not bugs!!":

    Here is a link to one of those cartoons. C&H are a big favorite in the Lex Ham Rand homestead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love Calvin and Hobbes. Thanks for the link.

    And have I told you, Lex Ham Rand, that I've decided your name is an anagram for Alex Rhandm? Clever, aren't I, to have puzzled that out. Your identity is no longer secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny! No, nothing secret here. My name really is Rand. Live in the Lex Ham neighborhood of St. Paul with wife, kids, dog, cat. Started blogging in April.

    It looks fun to be a published author! At least you make it look fun. So many in the blogosphere are "on the way" but not quite there yet. I found your blog on Voix de Michele, just scrolling down her world-class blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooooo, did you like the volcano? Did you see the Grand Canyon? Did you like the "Sirens of TI"? Did you get lost in Ceasar's Palace? There must be SO much more to tell! I loved it just for the fake stuff- it's definitely the kind of vacation where you don't get much of the real world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:25 PM

    Hey, Great site, can't believe I didn't get a bigger mention on your vegas history - especially when you leave jewellry in my room !! will be in touch soon, Ciao for now Rx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! You make it sound so squalid. Of all the things people left in your room that night, my jewelry was surely the least interesting. And remember, discretion is the better part of valour. ;) Or, as they say, what happens in Vegas...

    ReplyDelete