Friday, June 02, 2006

Devil in a Blue Dress


I just finished Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley. It was Mosley's debut novel and received rave reviews when it came out in 1990. Mosley was hailed as the next Raymond Chandler, probably for his "gritty realism" (read: tough men, much violence, meddlesome yet sexy women who need to be straightened out by the protagonist whom they are reluctantly yet passionately attracted to--the typical male romance novel).

I began the novel with as much trepidation as I watched Capote--I was doing it because it was supposed to be good for me, not because I was going to like it. Turns out I liked it AND it was really really good. You know how when you're at a movie that is so good that you forget you're in a theater? Devil in a Blue Dress made me forget I was reading a book.

Here are my two favorite sections, both of which give you a feel for the sense of place and voice throughout the novel:

"When I opened the door I was slapped in the face by the force of Lips' alto horn. I had been hearing Lips and Wilie and Flattop since I was a boy in Houston. All of them and John and half the people in that crowded room had migrated from Houston after the war, and some before that. California was like heaven for the southern Negro. People told stories of how you could eat fruit right off the trees and get enough work to retire one day. The stories were true for the most part but the truth wasn't like the dream. Life was still hard in L.A. and if you worked every day you still found yourself at the bottom.

But being on the bottom didn't feel so bad if you could come to John's now and then and remember how it felt back home in Texas, dreaming about California. Sitting there and drinking John's scotch you could remember the dreams you once had and, for a while, it felt like you had them for real."

That's good writing. Here's some more:

"I was sitting there, naked on the toilet seat, and watching her go through the mirror-doored medicine cabinet. I felt something deep down in me, something dark like jazz when it reminds you death is waiting."

I enjoy mysteries with strong character development, ones that go below the surface and examine the human condition, and Devil in a Blue Dress does that. Lots. And the language is tight. Oh, and it's a movie! You know it must be good then.

5 comments:

  1. Another one came to me...The Electric Slide. And I thought of the Dollar Dance and the Garter thingie where the winner (usually a card holder) gets to take it off with his teeth. Good motives for murder in those! Didn't give enough dollars, or won the garter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I read a book in Art class and cannot for the life of me remember what it was. Candy was our instructor and we were split up into groups and had to do skits about it. It was a hoot of a book and didn't feel like we were reading an assignment at all. Oh I remember, it was something like "The Hoot and Holler"!

    At first we all groaned, but I think by the end there weren't many who didn't like it. A very fun book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am glad you are a new reader of mosley..he really captures a great deal in his books...try "A Read Death" and tell me what you think

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must add the drunken bridesmaids that dance to anything. And they fall on the spilled beer on the dancefloor. Maybe get a personal injury lawyer involved- for them and for the wrongful death of whomever you choose to have murdered. The lawyer could be as entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chelty, you're a wealth of really bad west central Minnesota wedding information. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete