Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Dirt on Box Stores

I'm happy to report that May Day is getting reviewed in Tulsa, Oklahoma? South Dakota? Georgia?

Also, I have picked up some tasty knowledge on how box stores, specifically Barnes & Noble and Border, order and stock books. Here's how I got it. Last night, at my Rice Lake public library presentation, a woman in the audience said she had gone to two Borders, and both of them told her that they do not stock May Day because it's an "order only" book. I asked my bookselling/publicizing/publishing guru how the box stores work, and here is what He said:

"When a box store buys X number of a book, they allocate copies to their stores based on how they sell in that book’s genre. For instance, mystery might sell well at one Barnes and Noble but not another. Once a new title is on the shelves, the box store buyer (usually one person in a region who oversees many stores simultaneously) monitors its sales. If it sells well (don’t ask me how they define that, but they usually evalute sales on a book after its been out for about three months), they will then make a recommendation that the book be 'modeled.' Once a book is modeled, it has a minimum number that must remain on the shelf at all times to meet demand (this number is usually small; 1-3). As soon as a copy is sold, one is automatically reordered by the computer to replenish and bring it back to model.

If a book doesn’t sell well, it will most likely be pulled from the shelves and sent back to the distribution center. Certain restrictions may apply. For instance, even if May Day doesn’t sell well enough in Minnesota to make model, most buyers will make sure that a copy or two stay on shelves simply by virtue of the fact that it’s by a local author (or has a local setting). Once a book is pulled, it is still available for ordering but won’t be on the shelves as a matter of record. The book's publisher has no control over that.

I am pretty sure there’s no such designation as 'order only.' (Technically, EVERY book is order only.) Order only may have been shorthand for 'that book is not modeled, ergo it will not be auto-replenished, ergo the only way to get a copy is to order it.' The important thing to remember is that anyone who wants MD can walk in and order it at any time and they will get it as long as Borders stocks it in their warehouse."

Interesting stuff, no? I also saw David Morrell speak at a conference last fall, and he said that all placement at box stores, including everything but the New York Times bestseller's display, is paid placement. So, if you walk in and see a "Barnes and Noble's bestsellers" display, for example, you'll know that those books are there only because their publishers paid Barnes and Noble big bucks to put them there. Seems dishonest somehow, no? It's one more good reason to support independent bookstores, where the recommendations you get are first-person and free.

Wish me luck at my Rice Lake Bookworld signing tomorrow (Wednesday, 5:30-7:30), the last stop in my J Lo Takes Wisconsin Book Tour, 2006!

Confession: I went to a WalMart Super Store on this trip. I'm sorry Christine. I feel dirty. Later, I donated my hair to help raise funds to pay the legal fees of those unfairly held at Gitmo, and the universe is back in balance. For the record, the superstore had okay prices but a lousy selection, so it wasn't even worth the karma debt.

8 comments:

  1. Well, no, the BN Bestsellers represent the bestselling titles. The paid placements occur on the NEW IN PAPERBACK or NEW FICTION tables. Or theme tables RELIGIOUS FICTION, ODD AND INTERESTING. So, no, there's nothing dishonest about that.

    Did you know that grocery stores do the same thing? They sell shelf space to companies like Gillette and Keebler and the really premium space is at eye-level. So the next time you walk into the frozen foods aisle and the first thing you see is Stouffer's Meal-in-a-Bag, you know they shelled out some serious cash to be right there where you can see it.

    Thus endeth the retail lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I'm all about supporting independent booksellers but can I say that I don't think I've seen an author shoot themselves in the foot and THEN stick it in their mouth by dissing the box stores who had the option to pass completely and not buy ANY copies of your book (it happens) and make them available on a nationwide scale?

    I'm just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And before I forget, our sales rep has a meeting next week with the folks at Amazon. Any vitriol or bile you'd like me to pass on to them? Any slanderous remarks about their integrity? I understand that it's probably not nearly as rewarding as, say, spouting off in a public forum where any half-wit with a Google fetish can track it down but I thought I'd offer. I'm sure they love to get feedback from first time authors from a small press with a nascent mystery imprint. I'm fairly certain it makes them all warm and gooshy inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I can't WAIT to see the hits you get on Sitemeter from people who Google "foot" and "fetish," words I used in my last two posts.

    By gum, we'll get you some attention, one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, personally, am enjoying your posts as you travel the countryside. What a fun summer!! Instead, those of us in the private sector toil away and close the window blinds so we don't get distracted by the sunshine and daisies "out there."

    As far as the retail stuff, I recall hearing about the placement things in some business class. Marketing? Hmm, no idea anymore. But, unfortunately for me, each and every time I go to the grocery store, that is exactly what I think about. So I choose things that are high or low (except cereal, because the low stuff is placed there so kids see it). I never equated the grocery tactic to "real life" places too. Quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be Tulsa, Oklahoma.

    I don't know about South Dakota, but there's no Tulsa, Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:47 PM

    I'm waiting for a "Publishers Gone Wild" video to come out. I already commissioned shelf space at B&N for the release of that. I get 1%. It's not that sought after so I have to keep my other job as a shoe salesman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If the Barnes and Noble Dementor (finds my blog and reads that I prefer good old-fashioned bookstores where the owners and employees get to decide what is displayed where, then I'm going to tell them you made me write all that, Brian.

    Lex Ham Rand, thank you for researching the Tulsa location! I was going to do that today, but my Internet time is limited.

    Chel(ty), you make an excellent point that I am living the good life, even if my booksignings aren't everything I dreamed they would be. I get to go outside when I want, and I'm with my family. Thanks for the perspective. :)

    I will buy the first copy of "Publishers Gone Wild," but who will sign it? And is it mainly typos, or is there some partial nudity?

    ReplyDelete