Friday, September 08, 2006

August May Day Winning Library (Yes, August)

Congratulations to the Glendale Public Library in Glendale, California! Thanks to the fantastic entry skills of Lyndsay McCollum, Reference Librarian, the GPL is the proud owner of a brand spankin' new copy of May Day, which is hurtling through the postal service as we speak. If you work at a library, you should enter!

Oh, and my publicist wants to turn me into a sparkling, dancing monkey to draw crowds to my future book signings. It's tempting, but I am more likely to go this route.

Last Friday, I sent off my applications to the University of Minnesota (MFA in Creative Writing and PhD in Literature) and University of Madison (PhD in Literature as their MFA in fiction is on alternating years, next year 2008). I'm also in the process of applying for a Bush Foundation Fellowship for literature. Any one of those paths will give me more time to write, which is my goal.

6 comments:

  1. Glendale, eh? I'm going to forward your website to a friend of mine who lives in Glendale. He works for Follett (You're still with Follett, right Jay?!) and I believe he sells books to libraries. He's a U of MN grad too, but he wasn't with the *cool* people in Lind Hall; he was a history major, I believe. :P
    -Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are mighty ambitious, Jess, and I forsee great things to come from whichever path presents itself.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:56 PM

    Actually, Jess, it's in your contract.

    Clause 835.5.b: must be a sparkling dancing monkey for three months after each book release or whenever your publicist says.

    Brian, I don't know how you put up with her.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, Annie, let's for sure make friends with your uncool library book-seller-to.

    Eek, Barbara! Don't tell Brian about my contract. He doesn't even know about the "Can't Send Publicist More than One To-Do List Per Month" clause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taylor got in trouble last year when he spoke to kids about his books. He was trying to say that Harry Potter wasn't the only fantasy adventure series available and, in referencing the popular British sitcom "Little Britain," said, "Harry Potter's not the only gay in the village." The kids and faculty thought he was saying Harry Potter is gay.

    And this man was a vicar!!

    Good luck with the apps. I'm pushing for Madison for reasons already stated.

    Now DANCE, Monkey Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And do you have any idea HOW MUCH I'D PAY to see you do that exact dance? I'd have to will you my entire estate because the ensuing laughter would be the death of me.

    ReplyDelete