Friday, August 18, 2006

Paynes-ville Booksigning

Hello! I'm back. The Paynesville booksigning went well. It's my hometown, the one I explored big hair, lime vodka sours, and pinned Guess jeans in during the 80s. My parents still live there, and my sister lives close by in Cold Spring (she's a kick-ass chiropractor, literally--second degree black belt). I was invited to sign books at Ben Around Books, owned by Kay and Bob McDaniel.

Bob and Kay are fantastic--graphic designers from the Dakotas--who are taking it as their personal mission to bring culture to a small town. They're doing a fantastic job and are warm and wonderful people. They did a great job advertising my book signing by making bookmarks, buying ad space in the Paynesville Press (we'll get to that), putting up posters everywhere, and spreading the word.

Long story short, 18 copies of May Day were sold at the signing, I signed a pile of the 12 that were sold before that, and I saw a significant jump in my amazon.com sales afterward.

I met some wonderful people at the signing, and it's hard to pick favorites, but I really enjoyed Karla from Grove City (she's my kind of gal), Marion from Paynesville (ladies over 70 are funny and strong like beef jerky), Lucy who prefers ice cream to fruit, and the daughter of the mayor of Battle Lake ("He really didn't like your book, you know.").

Good stuff. More next week.

2 comments:

  1. YOU not good at communicating? No, I think it was him. It's always 'him.' Even when it's 'us,' it's 'him.' Glad you had a ball. So did you run around Willmar growing up, or did you go the St. Cloud way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the Kandi Entertainment Center (Willmar) or nothing, babe. :) I even hitchhiked from Hawick to Willmar with my friend Darcy one summer night when my parents were in Sturgis. Remind me never to leave my kids alone.

    ReplyDelete