Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Winning Library

Congratulations to Melisa Duncan, Community Relations person at Fargo Public Library!! She won a free copy of May Day for the library by entering the drawing on my webpage. If you're a librarian, you should enter.

And check out the Smoking Gun for the latest on a presidential mishap. Of intelligence. I'm going to float an idea out there. This two party corporate-sponsored system is not really working for me. What about a political system where multiple ideas and demographics are represented? Probably, we'd have to reform the campaign funding and electoral processes to make that viable. What? Someone's already thought of that?

And hey, I got my three pages written last night! Half of one page was part of my outline that I cut and pasted, but I still wrote it so it counts. Mystery writing is unique in that you have to write the ending first. So, I come up with a central mystery idea (murdered love, missing diamond, disappearing fiberglass statue with human scalp left at the base, creationism science camp and a murdered cheerleader, etc.), decide whodunit, and then create a seven-day or so outline starting at the scene of the crime and working toward its resolution (most of my mysteries span a very short period of time). I get the bare bones of what happens each day written down in a table outline, and then I use that to keep myself on track as I write the actual novel. I should do more of that writing the actual novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment