Monday, April 03, 2006

The Apothecary Has Taken the Plunge

Battle Lake news:
  • I just received a letter from Jay, the pharmacist at the Village Apothecary (featured in May Day), and he has requested 24 copies of the book. This is my favorite part of his letter: "I did, however, practice in Paynesville for 6 years before moving here to Battle Lake, and I must say that Paynesville had just as many oddities as our small town. I see that you hail from Paynesville. Does this mean you are odd as well?" Ha! I like this guy. And yes, it means I'm odd as well.
  • I got a phone call from the owner of the Nifty Nook Resort requesting a review copy. Fun! I am not hated in Battle Lake. Yet. Of course, they haven't read the book yet.
  • Actually, one of them has. His name is Lyman, I'm guessing he is on the young side of 80, and he called me Saturday afternoon to tell me he thoroughly enjoyed May Day. He went on to regale me with a story of a horrible and mysteriously bloody human corpse that he stumbled upon a few years back. I don't think I can use it, but thanks for calling, Lyman. There's nothing a single gal likes quite so much as the afternoon call from a stranger who wants to talk about grisly death. Seriously, it was a very sweet phone call, and I appreciated the thought.

That's about it for today, except that I had to get a CT scan this morning, and it was scary. Well, not too scary because it was just to make sure that my enlarged salivary gland is just that (I drool when I type), but you have to sit on your back and get this dye injected into your arm that makes your body feel like it's on fire for a second, then you taste metal, and then you feel like you peed your pants (I'm not making this up, and it wasn't just me). Blah. And the needle is really, really big. But all is well. And I don't really drool when I type. Just when I talk.

Oh wait! I forgot the big May Day news. My mom called me yesterday to tell me that according to the Sunday St. Cloud Times, May Day is the best selling trade paperback in St. Cloud!!! May Day was also generously reviewed by In the Library.

2 comments:

  1. "We love your book! Come to Battle Lake to promote it."

    (No, hide the pitchforks. Wait until she's in the city limits.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I'm laughing so much that it makes it hard to type (plus, I'm drooling). As my publicist, you HAVE to come to Battle Lake with me, always.

    ReplyDelete