Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Kirkus Review of May Day

My publicist, who is excellent but touchy (or is it touched?) like only a true artist can be, just sent me the Kirkus Review of May Day. Here it is:

A small-town librarian and reporter adds sleuthing to her resume after finding a corpse amid the stacks.

Thirty-ish and unlucky in love, Mira James has moved from the Twin Cities to the small Minnesota town of Battle Lake. She snags two decent part-time jobs at the public library and the weekly newspaper, and a new lover to boot. The sex with archaeologist Jeff Wilson is terrific, and the relationship is blossoming when his murder brings it to a screeching halt. Worse, it's Mira who finds the body on the floor of the library. She can't resist probing, especially since her editor at the Recall wants a story about the crime. At first, Mira thinks Jeff's death was related to his archaeological work. The designation of a historical site could derail a local land-development plan. That theory hits a dead end, but Mira finds a clutch of likely suspects in Jeff's past. A pivotal figure in a murky romantic pentagon, he was the high school's star quarterback, involved with homecoming queen Kennie (now Battle Lake's mayor), teammate Gary (chief of police), classmate Karl (prominent banker) and coach Lartel (Mira's boss at the library). Mira digs up a closetful of dirty secrets, including sex parties, cross-dressing and blackmail, on her way to exposing the killer.

Lourey's debut has a likable heroine and a surfeit of sass...

I had to look up surfeit, and it basically means "a lot." So that's good. See the ellipses above, though? You'll see those in a lot of book reviews. That's where the author or his/her publicist took out words such as, "...but I'd sooner chew my own foot off than read another one of his books." So that's fun. The last line in mine actually said, "Lourey's debut has a likable heroine and a surfeit of sass, but the projected series needs to find its mystery footing." That means I still have to prove myself, which I'm all about. If they say the same thing after reading June Bug (due out March 2007), I might be in trouble, or I'll have to use my heady powers of rationalization to decide that these reviewers are just not hip. Anyhow, it's more interesting to make fun of others than to scrutinize myself, so here I am filling in the ellipses of some reviews for the works of some of my favorite mystery authors of all time.

Sue Grafton, F Is for Fugitive
San Francisco Chronicle Review:

"Exceptionally entertaining except for the part where Jim is unmasked as the killer, which was just dumb. An offbeat sense of humor and a feisty sense of justice.

Carl Hiaasen, Skin Tight
The New York Times Book Review

"This novel is Carl Hiaasen's latest dangerous weapon--Uzi satire in 9-millimeter bursts aimed at those classic baddies, vanity and greed. I wish I liked funny and terrifying bad guys because if I did, I'd like this book. No one has ever designed funnier, more terrifying bad guys."

Janet Evanovich, Hot Six
Dallas Morning News Review

"An appealing detective, a love interest, a little danger, and a lot of laughs would have been great, but instead she wrote this. I would have even settled for a classic screwball detective story."

William Kent Kruger, Purgatory Ridge
Publishers Weekly Review

"Krueger's page-turner opens with a bang yet left me constantly smelling hard boiled eggs as I read. The plot comes full circle as credibly flawed central characters find resolution and that smell of eggs becomes overwhelming. Krueger prolongs suspense to the very end."

Ok, done with my augmented reviewing. On a side note, I heart most anything written by the above four authors, and my recommendation of their writing is ellipses-free.

2 comments:

  1. Your publicist reads this blog, FYI. And your touchy/touched publicist notes you have still not heeded his advice to turn on the security feature which forces people to enter a keyword when posting, preventing your comment section from being lambasted with spam. And he's also recommending that you allow anonymous comments because some of your throngs of adoring fans may not be blogspot members and might still want to leave you a nice note. But hey. He's touched. What does he know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your books and my reviews need no ellipses. No ifs ands or buts. I love the name Brian, even named my one and only son Brian... The Brian of the above note no doubt has your best interests at heart...

    ReplyDelete