Tuesday, October 21, 2014

What Does a Writer's Day Look Like?

You maybe know that I took an unpaid, one-year leave of absence from my college teaching job to write full-time. You maybe even know that I am a ridiculously disciplined, motivated person who wrote 2-3 books a year while teaching full-time and raising two kids. Given this, I thought it'd be a breeze to transition from two jobs (teaching and writing) to one (writing). I'd write more books better! They'd roll off my fingertips, perfectly-formatted and deep, literary spackle filling holes we didn't even know were in the canon. Ta-da!

So who would have guessed that the opposite is true? Turns out that overscheduling myself worked like a personal trainer. While teaching, and particularly when my kids were younger, I knew I'd only have two hours a day to write (if I was lucky). I cherished those two hours, writing like a monkey, allowing no distractions. It's completely different now that I have the whole day to write.

I feel like a jelly roll that took its pants off. Bloop.

And this is high stakes because I need to make enough money from writing this year that I don't have to go back to my teaching job. My fear of returning to work for micro-managing speckinaries (the opposite of visionaries) actually wakes me from a dead sleep at least once a week, heart pounding. I calm myself by saying it's only October, I have ten more months to do this. I can do this.

But I can't do this, not if I don't get myself on a schedule. The first step will be to bookend my work day, which I've started this week by working out in the mornings (I've gained 15 pounds in the last year. Most people know that "muscle weighs more than fat"; an equally true but less popular saying is "fat weighs more than air"). I'll end my work day at 4:30, which is when X gets off the bus.

Once the bookends are in place, I need to make peace with the fact that outlining and revising novels both necessarily move at a glacial pace. Once my book is outlined, I have myself on a 2000-word a day diet, but getting the structure of a book ready to go and then sifting through the first draft in search of gold both take an incredible amount of brain time with most of the breakthroughs coming when I'm not even writing. Right now, I'm in the revision stage of my historical fiction, and trying to rush that is like running through jello. My workaround? I'm going to write a second book simultaneously, this one a comical thriller that is very nebulous right now and which will also piss me off for the next two weeks because the more I grab at the threads of the story to pull it into a solid outline, the more slippery they will get.

To recap, the cure for this writing ennui is to get on a tight schedule and to work on two projects at once, at least until one or the other is out of the outlining or revising stage. I also figured it wouldn't hurt to look at what some masters of the craft did/do. Here it is:
  1. Ernest Hemingway wrote in the morning, standing up. He also hunted elephants using only his piercing glare and put out forest fires with his urine stream. Pretty sure.
  2. Barbara Kingsolver wrote around her children's schedule. Now that her kids are old enough, she can write whenever she wants, and she loves it. She claims the hard part for her is turning off the computer. Curse words. I am doing this all wrong. She also writes a bunch of stuff she throws away. She intentionally wastes words!!! Sigh. I love her writing.
  3. Haruki Murakami believes in repetition, basically writing for the same amount of time around the same time every day, broken up by physical exercise, to train his mind to go deep. I like it.
  4. Benjamin Franklin started each day with an "air bath" (sat naked in a cold room and read or wrote for an hour) and then went on to tightly schedule each hour of his day in a manner that closely resembles the schedule I'm going to try below (I am Benjamin Franklin, minus the gout, air bath, and international appeal!).
So, putting it all together, here's my new daily Monday-Friday schedule, starting today:
  • 5:50-6:40: Get X ready to go
  • 6:40-7:15: Walk dog
  • 7:15-10:00: Meditate, exercise, touch base with Z, social media/marketing (website updates, cover designer emails, publisher emails, fan email, Kickstarter updates, prep for panels and workshops, make travel plans for panels and workshops, blog, etc.)
  • 10:00-1:00: Revise WSBO (25 pages a day; complete and to agent by Bouchercon; concrete goals like "25 pages a day" are crucial so I don't waste time)
  • 1:00-3:00: Social media/marketing 
  • 3:00-4:30: Outline comical thriller (one week to outline, then 2000 words a day)
  • 4:30-8:30: Play, eat, work, and talk with kids
  • 8:30-10:30: Refuel (ie, read)
If you have any other time-management suggestions, I'll take 'em below. And in the meanwhile, my Kickstarter campaign is at 76% with ten days to go. If it's not completely funded, it doesn't get funded at all. Take pity on a transitional writer, and check it out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675834533/the-catalain-book-of-secrets


19 comments:

  1. I love your post-writing Jess! Thanks for sharing this one. I have the same problem with few real restrictions on my writing time, so I get to the end of the day and not much done...maybe I should look into a real job :-)
    PS: Especially love: I feel like a jelly roll that took its pants off. Bloop.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Two-Hearted Jessie. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So we're clear - if in your comical thriller the phrase "30 minutes examining your/his/her split ends" does not appear WE.ARE.DONE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well, THAT is reasonable. I thought you wanted it in this blog post.

      Delete
    2. I did but then I realized that demanding something happen in the future versus demanding something have happened in the past was a better bet. ;)

      Delete
    3. But you've got that "smack you in the face for smoking" time machine, so it could go either way.

      Delete
  4. I left the day job 18 months ago. And have gained about seven pounds, which is the same as 15 on a person only five foot one. Must add more exercise! But my creative time is earlier than yours, Jessie, so I get one hour or so of social media and email, and then I write until my word count for the day (at least 1000 but usually 1200-1500). After that I go walking, eat, and do all those other writerly things. I can write three books a year don this schedule, which is good, because that's how many I have to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edith, I'll peer pressure you into a writing schedule if you peer pressure me. :)

      Delete
    2. Let's do it. I sprint every morning at seven eastern time! With Ramona DeFelice Long and others in her FB sprint club. ;^)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I need it! And a healthy dose of trust in all things good.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for writing about this. I am now a stay at home mom, left my job in auditing and accounting, and am writing full time when my son is in school. I also have had to schedule my day in pockets of activities that include exercise, sewing hobby, writing, reading, and taking care of my son when he returns from school. You have encouraged me. Why? I am not alone! Good luck this year. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not alone! We can do this!

      Delete
  7. This reminds me of the old saying: If you want something done, have a busy person do it.

    I have the same issue. The more free time I have the less I get done. A firm schedule makes a lot of sense and I think I'll try it.

    I'm trying your other suggestion right now and I have to say I don't think the air bath is for me. And the other Library patrons are not supportive. I put a towel down so what's the big deal? People!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! If you put the towel down first, you're fine. Maybe they just haven't heard of "Bun"jamin Franklin???

      Delete
  8. My days have reached a critical mass of chaos, and now, finding that I must schedule time for meditation and exercise in addition to my publishing work, writing, marketing, helping kids with homework, etc., I'm going to need a schedule. This is an inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! An inspiration or a curse, Sheyna? :) And thank you for supporting my Kickstarter campaign!

      Delete