Monday, October 13, 2014

Promo Items for Your Book

When my first book, May Day, hit bookshelves in 2006, I received a $1300 grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board to promote it (Google "[YOUR STATE] Arts Board Grants" to see if you have similar options in your area). I went crazy with the promo items--postcards, t-shirts, cloth bags, bookmarks. When June Bug came out in 2007, and all the promo was on my own dime, I bought only postcards and these tiny flashlights with a screwdriver kit in them. With Knee High by the Fourth of July, I downsized to business cards and magnets with a calendar on them (Murder by MONTH mysteries--get it?).


I have author friends who, when a new book comes out, buy seed packets with their book covers on them, chapstick with their name and website url on them, mirrors, hand sanitizers, chip clips...and so much more. My second self-published book will hit shelves in January, and my tenth traditionally-published book in February, and you know what I think after eight years of publishing?

Promo items are a waste of time and money, with one exception.

Let me back up.

I get it. Man, do I get it. You wrote this book, and you want people to read it and remember it. That's why you buy the matchbooks with your book cover on them, the bookmarks, the water bottles, the little champagne-bottle-shaped bubbles (I love those--keep buying those). And you put them on the "free" table at conferences, and you hand them out at signings, and you give them away at your talks.

But they don't encourage anyone to read your book; they encourage people to blow bubbles, or light fires, or seal their corn chips air-tight. The only item that will encourage people to read your writing is your writing. That's why, now, rather then buying and handing out 20 promo items to 20 people, I find one change agent and put my book in his/her hands. The cost is the same, but that person, particularly if they are a prolific reviewer on GoodReads or Amazon or have a blog where they post reviews, will convince many more people to read my book than a carabiner with my Twitter handle on it.

The one exception? I love promo ideas as "thank yous," particularly if they are unique. If someone is going to take time out of their day to read your book, they deserve gratitude. I wish I could send the dang things to EVERYONE who reads my books, whether they borrow them from a friend, buy them at a bookstore, or check them out at the library. I love those people! I can't afford to thank all of them with tiny gifts, though, so I limit them to the press kits I send to reviewers and booksellers (note: some reviewers can't accept gifts; check their policy first) as well as conference hosts and panel moderators.

So, if you're looking for a promo item to sell your book, make it your book. If you are looking for a lagniappe, check out these fun items:

  1. Earbuds with pouch (bonus: what if they pull them out on the plane, strike up a conversation with the person next to them, and that person immediately downloads your book? Could happen)
  2. Grass! (de-bonus: as it dies, they'll think of you and your book and possibly begin to associate the two. But grass!)
  3. Magnetic Butt Desk. You heard me.
  4. Mood pen. It changes colors in your hand, which *might* get people to read the pen, so put something fun there. I actually used this promo item for one of my books, billing it as the "monthly" mood pen. It's amazing I'm allowed access to a computer still.
  5. A fire extinguisher with your name and book cover on it. I'm only including this here because I'm too lazy to write a "WTF?!? Promo Items" post.
  6. Cloth grocery bags.
  7. XXX. This one is a surprise. I found it when researching lagniappes for The Catalain Book of Secrets, and it's awesome and unique and perfect, and will be going out to all my Kickstarter supporters, if the campaign reaches it goal. After I send those out, I'll let you know what this one is. I am excited for it!
If you want to share your thoughts on promo items for books, please do so below. Also, please take a moment to check out my Kickstarter campaign if you haven't already: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675834533/the-catalain-book-of-secrets. The project is 2/3 of the way there, and every dollar counts!


8 comments:

  1. Thank you for my word of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mood pen idea. Of course, I should admit that it's probably largely due to the fact that I am a pen-aholic. But the idea that something you wrote will turn up (a different something with each color change?) is really neat. The magnetic butt desk needs a new name, stat, 'cause I was kind of afraid to hit that link for a sec there. Earbuds are definitely cool. One more thought - we just got these at work - usb car chargers. We hand them out to prospective students who visit (I wound up with one, for quality control, of course). It's a handy way to charge stuff like maybe your e-reader on which you're going to read Jess's book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You are a funny bunny, Shelly. You should be my publicist! Except you might steal things. ;) Teasing--I'm a firm believer in quality control, whether it's in promo items, wine, food...

      Delete
  3. Makes total sense, Jess, thanks. And: What Sharon said - love this new word...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked it up in New Orleans in 1989, Michael. Feel free to pass it on. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm going to politely disagree. Jess.

    While I know how exciting it is to publish a book, and I know how much a person wants to share that joy with the world, the bottom line is that most people don't need any more little gim-gaws in their lives. Typical promotional pieces just clutter up the kitchen junk drawer or slide off the top of the desk in the office. And when it comes time to clean up the space, and to hold a yard sale or take a donation box to the local charity shop, what will happen to those little items? Who will want them? Maybe no one else, because they won't recognize the name of the author or the book. Maybe the plastic ones will land in a recycling bin. And then the author's expense and effort will have gone for nearly nothing.

    As a book reviewer, I was once given an appreciation gift from a grateful author: a baseball cap with the name of her book emblazoned across the front. Now, I really liked this author. I really liked her book. But I didn't want to wear her book title on my forehead as I trotted around town from that point on. I eventually dropped the cap into a clothing donation box. Reluctantly. I hope it found a good home.

    As a reviewer and a reader, I enjoy getting bookmarks or signed postcards as promotional items. They don't take up much room, and I can ALWAYS use more bookmarks. Three-dimensional items of any kind or size, I don't need.

    Jess, I'm a fan of your month-by-month mysteries. I've read all of them so far (and have reviewed some of them publicly), and I'll be happy to read all the rest. And you've come up with some interesting and unique items here to promote this next release. They may work well as rewards for your Kickstarter supporters. But if you stood at a festival publicity table and had these freebies spread out next to copies of your book, I would pick up only one book. If you could sign it and thank me for buying it, that would be great! That's all I want or need. I don't need more "things."

    My advice to Excited Authors Everywhere is to think beyond the glee of seeing your very own name and your book title embossed on all kinds of quirky trinkets. Think of the next step. What do you expect your readers to do with them, and for how long? Where will those items end up? And will your cost be worth it?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While you are definitely being polite, Corinne, I think we are in total agreement--get people your books, not your promo items. If you want a promo item as an author, make it a thank you to a vet specific audience (not a general reader) and make it useful and unique. Right?

      Delete