Friday, October 17, 2014

Kindle Scout

Amazon launched Kindle Scout last Tuesday, using a crowdsourcing model to get people excited about a product. (HarperCollins is already doing something similar with Authonomy). With Scout, writers upload their 50,000+ word, never-been-published (including self-published) mystery, sci fi/fantasy, or romance manuscript to the Kindle Scout site, plus a book cover for it.

If you submit, there is no changing your mind. Amazon owns exclusive rights for 45 days, and then digital rights for five years if they offer you a contract. Those books worthy of contracts are discovered through some algorithm between reader votes--readers see your bio, cover, and an excerpt and can vote on whether or not they'd like it published; if a book they vote for is chosen, they receive a free e-copy of it--and the opinions of the Kindle Scout team.

The contract terms are non-negotiable. You also receive no editing or help with your cover; whatever you submit is what Amazon publishes, if your book is chosen (although you have 30 courtesy days after it's chosen to edit on your own if you like).

I am FASCINATED by this model. And repelled by it. Fascinated because it's smart. Kindle Scout is getting readers to wade through their slush pile while simultaneously creating an invested pre-audience for the books they publish. The contract isn't great--an auto-renewing 5-year contract with a $1500 advance which gives you a 50% royalty rate on the ebooks--but it also isn't terrible, particularly for unagented work. You retain print and dramatic rights, and Scout's out-of-print clause is clear:

"If you do not earn at least $25,000 during any 5-year term, you'll have six months after the end of that 5-year period in which you can choose to stop publishing with us and request your rights back." 

Plus, having the Amazon Algorithm marketing on your behalf is a magical thing. I have to believe they're going to pull GoodReads into this somehow to give it even more legs, and they'd be fools to not tie this all in with NaNoWriMo, which begins in two short weeks.

I think I am repelled at the idea of Scout being seen as a publisher (it looks like Amazon is trying to institutionalize the EL James/Amanda Hocking model of success) because they are really just marketing your book (you have to design your own cover, provide your own editing, and possibly provide your own formatting, in addition to publicizing your own Scout campaign). That gives some faint Chitty Chitty Bang Bang child-stealer-feel to this. (How's that for bringing a knife to a pillow fight?) But if I look at Scout not as a publisher but as a marketing tool for self-published books? In that case, it is promising.

Specifically, if I had a professionally-edited but unpublished mystery manuscript sitting on my computer that I was going to self-publish anyway, I'd have a professional design me a cover and submit the package to Kindle Scout. I really would, particularly if it was part of a series and could be used as a loss leader to pick up the pace on the rest of their series. Their contract is not heinous, and I love an adventure. Plus, I have a feeling that the early books marketed through this model are going to do crazy well.

Your thoughts?

17 comments:

  1. I'm still holding out for a hero ... err, tradpub deal and I do NOT love an adventure. But I'm also not 12 books into my career so my squeamishness may have something to do with fear that my lifelong beginner's luck streak will break on this beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimeemeemee! Sorry for the child stealer pic. Should have warned you. And you know what? I think you should hold out for a tradpub deal because it's coming for you and it's the best way to start. And I can talk big in this blog post because I DON'T have a ms to send into Kindle Scout. But yeah, I'm weirdly impulsive about things. It's a great quality when it works out.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jess, I'm with you on your last paragraph. It IS a fascinating model, and has all those things that are good for Amazon working for the authors too. Not sure why you're repelled by "unedited books being published books" - we authors certainly can (and should) get them edited before submitting, and if we don't and the readers love them anyway, maybe they didn't "need" editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, your excellent points made me rewrite the last two paragraphs of the blog post. Thank you for your insight!

      Delete
  3. Jessie, I totally love the blog posts, or should I say the anti-blog posts but you been putting up. I really respect your opinion on different things, and you have managed to present all of these different topics in ways that are easy for my little bitty brain to comprehend. Regarding Amazon Scout, it is both a horrifying and extremely fascinating prospect. It'll be very interesting to see how this all plays out. And, Amiee, you hold out there, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Let's stalk Alan to see what he comes up with. :)

      Delete
  4. Jessie. I've thought about this and am waiting for word from the last of the traditional publishers I have submitted my latest mystery novel to respond. If it's a 'yes,' that's my first choice; if it's a 'no-go' then I may try Amazon Kindle Scout. I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, fingers crossed that it is a "yes" from the traditional publishers. It only takes one yes!

      Delete
  5. Well, I just submitted a book there. I happened to have something (finished, edited, polished, etc.) with a professionally designed cover that, for a variety of reasons, I never did anything with (actually, I put it on Wattpad a couple years ago). So, what the heck? My campaign goes "live" on October 27. [I view this strictly as an experiment; I've got other manuscripts I'm looking to do other--more traditional--things with, too.] Crazy new world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, lemme know when your campaign goes live! I will vote on it. This sounds like a smart experiment.

      Delete
  6. Carol Kusnierek (Annika Hansen)2:13 PM

    I would think about this, even though I too have mixed feelings regarding Amazon. I am a professional editor of the old school (the Chicago Manual is my bible), so that's not an issue for me. Cash in hand AND help with marketing (which to me is the most onerous and dismaying part of trying to make it as an author)? Sounds like a dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I feel the same way: "Cash in hand AND help with marketing..." Let's see what Alan comes up with after he gets his book signed with Scout. :)

      Delete
  7. Reading your post, Jessica, is what first inspired me to look into the Kindle Scout program, especially that second to last line, "Plus, I have a feeling that the early books marketed through this model are going to do crazy well."

    I felt the same way and share your sense of impulsive adventure, so I submitted my crime novel, "The Invisible Hand." Amazon approved it for a campaign to start Oct. 28 (yes, the submissions are vetted, so no Baboon Fart Story pt 2).

    Here's a link to my post at The Digital Reader that explains my reasoning:

    http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/10/22/kindle-scout-worth-risk-yes/

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting discussion! I'm still not sure I want to dip my feet into this experiment, but the marketing visibility is alluring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on all three counts, Jennifer. I'm reealllly interested to see how this one land out.

      Delete
  9. I would love to hear from authors whose books were selected by KS. My campaign has 5 days to go and -- if it wins -- I would love to hear how to make the most of the next steps in the process.
    https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2JHN5LHNVK9SU

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to hear from authors whose books were selected by KS. My campaign has 5 days to go and -- if it wins -- I would love to hear how to make the most of the next steps in the process.
    https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2JHN5LHNVK9SU

    ReplyDelete