Monday, May 26, 2014

Wait--It Was ME?!?

The conversation with the Penguin editor was marvelous. She didn't have a lot of specifics to offer as far as revising The Catalain Book of Secrets, but she offered encouragement, and she was fascinating. We talked for over half an hour about our similar pasts--advanced English degrees, teaching, geeking out about books. Plus, she laughed at my jokes. Best of all? She's excited to check CBS out again when I'm done revising.

Since then, my friend Linda has jumped in to give me specific editing suggestions for CBS. She has an amazing story sensor, she's funny, and she's telling me everything the NYC acquisitions editors are telling me, only she's giving me specific ways to achieve it. (She's also telling me to slow down. If you know me, you understand.)

I've taken all her advice (every good person deserves a Linda), and you know what? CBS has always had great promise, but the NYC editors are right: it's just not there yet. It can be better.




And that's the part of writing that we don't talk about a lot, the part where the rejection maybe isn't about everyone else being a dumbass. Maybe the rejection is about our book not yet reaching it's potential. It's a fine line because you have to believe in your writing. Otherwise, what's the point?  But you have to figure out how to sift the valid criticism from the that's-not-to-my-taste-because-I'm-an-idiot criticism, and you can't just pack up your soccer ball and go home when you're hearing things you don't want to hear.

How to do that?

My answer is to surround myself with good people and astute readers, to exercise my bullshit detector (particularly when I'm the one shoveling it onto myself), and to refine that ability to feel it in my gut when my story has found its compass. I also noticed that when my book isn't quite right, I'm in a hurry to get it out there, and in a hurry to blame others and to self-publish when it's not received like I expect. When I am on track, I enjoy the revision process, and there is no rush.

If it comes down to self-publishing, it does, but I don't think that's going to happen in this case. I love this story, and I'm excited to take it to its potential. Bonus? The revision process has finally brought me to a clear logline for CBS, which is about the poison and power of secrets:

When Katrine Catalain returns from a 14-year banishment, she must confront her deepest secret and convince her sister and mother to do the same to save her family from the curse of the black-souled man.

5 comments:

  1. For critiques, I have a rule: No judging others' words while they speak, just jot down notes. Going over the comments later works a whole lot better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great tip, Jack. Do you have something you can silently swat them with every now and again? You know, to let off some steam?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice analogy about using all the resources to make a story hit the point you want readers to hit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post, Miss Jess! And I really can't wait to read the rest of TCBoS…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:13 AM

    Love your books. Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete