Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I'm Home, and the Cat Barfed

Okay, I'm back in the saddle. Here's my last six days in a nutshell: Zoe, Xander, and I went to Walnut Grove, Minnesota, which has sort of a trailer-park Laura Ingalls feel. And I'm not just bitter because Zoe didn't win the look-alike contest. This fall, maybe we'll try Pepin, Wisconsin. I'm getting the kid on a circuit. Those freckles are worth their weight in gold, dammit.

Then, the three of us visited Xander's grandma in Rochester. She took us out to eat at Subway and then we headed to Kellogg, Minnesota to Lark Toys, the #1 grandparent stop in the state (read: candy, toys, rides, candy, ice cream, and candy). Then, on to Wausau to visit Jason, Holly, and Trixie (and get stroked by the Schwan's man--Mr. "You like ice cream, right?"). Finally, we went to River Falls, Wisconsin, to visit my wonderfully anonymous friend Andrea, who is coincidentally cyber-stalking Holly even though they've never met. Andrea, her kids, and my kids all drove around St. Paul to scope out my future neighborhood (looking at Highland Park) and stop at the Science Museum.

Good time!

And I'm home now. Today, I ordered the meat and cheese (yes, meat, Brian) and vegetable trays for the Battle Lake event of the year. Turns out it's cheaper if you just get celery, elk salami, and government cheese, and since I'm on a budget...I splurged on the pop, though. Real Dr. Shasta. Just joshing. The eats'll be great.

And now, in the educational corner, check out everything you wanted to know about the publishing industry, in shorthand (thanks uber-artist Lisa!). And in the humor corner, check out the latest in publish on demand (thanks, Mr. B.). Oh, and the cat did just barf. I think he missed us.

5 comments:

  1. You just have me on a Little House binge. I nearly had to change it tonight- Mr. Garvey's barn burned down- best crop he ever had. And he and Mrs. Garvey almost got divorced and Laura was all upset over it. And Andy Garvey said it's a backwards thing- kids should have parents instead of parents having kids cuz when kids fight they know what it's about. I need to get out more...

    What about the Morris event? It's an artsy fartsy town with lots of gawkers at new faces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are watching Little House right now. :) The Morris event is a great idea, but I'm booked already. Where is the summer going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are watching Little House right now. :) The Morris event is a great idea, but I'm booked already. Where is the summer going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raising kids in St. Paul is the best - so many things to do, so many other folks with kids.

    There are some great affordable pockets of housing in the Highland Park area (and some ridiculously overpriced ones.) You are probably already working with a realtor, but my neighbor is an Edina realty agent and she knows St. Paul very well. And she's a decent person, too.

    Macalester-Groveland is overpriced, IMHO. Even my own beloved Lexington-Hamline has become somewhat overpriced.

    Good value (still close to Grand, Snelling, etc.) can be found in Randolph Heights and Merriam Park.

    And there are some good values in parts of "true" Highland Park as well - solid post WWII homes near the soon-to-be shuttered Ford Plant.

    And my kids have thrived in the St Paul public schools.

    Happy to be a resource on this end if you need real-time St. Paul info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the new B. Affleck-ish photo, Lex Ham! I actually don't have a realtor in the Cities yet, so I will definitely contact your neighbor when it's time to start looking. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete