Monday, July 24, 2006

Battle Lake Booksigning

The Battle Lake booksigning on July 22nd went really well. The Art of the Lakes Gallery is a good place to be, and there was a steady crowd. I ended up selling around 44 books and signing many more. The highlight of the signing was having Francine (see left), one of my former students and a strong writer in her own right, drive all the way to Battle Lake with her witty friend Carmen. They were on their way to a wedding dance in Perham.

Speaking of, I finished the first draft of my short story to be submitted to the Minnesota Crime Wave, and it features a murder at a wedding dance and The Macarena. I still have the revision process to sort through, but it's better than the starting process. Always better.

But back to the book signing. There is a rumor circulating that my friend Christine accidentally dumped the meat and cheese tray on a major Alexandria street pre-Battle Lake book signing. I can neither confirm nor deny that rumor. I can, however, say that the most interesting moment at the signing was when a large man slapped down a copy of May Day, title page open, and said, "You know your autograph is only worth something if you're dead." Nice day.

Overall, I'd call the signing a success, thanks to the good nature of the Battle Lake folks, the warm welcome of Chief Wenonga (note to authors: schedule book signings during street fairs and/or Crazy Days), and the help of my good friend Christine, who solicited buyers outside the Gallery.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:43 PM

    So I've heard a rumor that Christine was spotted on the sidewalk soliciting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard a rumor that you're slowly but surely turning into Molly Shannon.

    SUPASTA!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Brian...after your excellent discussion of diplomacy you play the "Mary Katherine Gallagher" card. tsk-tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could do worse than turn into Mary Katherine Gallagher, Ambassador Brian. Way to shame, Lex Ham! BTW, I contacted your neighbor-realtor, and she has begun to help me research St. Paul houses in the Merriam Park, Highland Park, and Mac/Groveland neighborhoods. Do your kids go to Longfellow, and if so, do they like it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We chose Expo elementary - it's a magnet (I never have figured out exactly what for - although the curriculum of the school is organized around Gardner's multiple intelligences). My oldest just finished Ramsey Jr. High (Longfellow also feeds into that jr high) and he will be starting at Central HS this fall. My youngest is in her final year at Expo.

    The buses run all over St. Paul for all schools, so transport isn't an issue, no matter where you live.

    Here are my top schools again for this area of St.P:

    Expo
    Webster
    Groveland
    Randolph Heights
    Horace Mann
    Linwood

    Can't say that I recommend Longfellow simply because I have no experience with it - we didn't choose it because we liked Expo so much, and I don't know anyone whose kids went there. I know something about the schools I have on my list.

    Here's the URL for the web site that has a map showing the schools I listed.

    http://www.spps.org/Schools.html

    And, my kids love St. Paul schools.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete